Steam Engines once dotted the countryside connecting rural communities to larger cities. These trains carried raw materials to industrial sites and expanded agricultural markets.

The railroad moved settlers western and played a major part in industrializing America.

630 - The American Locomotive Company, also known as ALCO, built the 630 for the Southern Railway in 1904. The wheel arrangement of this engine is a 2-8-0, known as a Consolidation. 630 spent many years in service out of Asheville, North Carolina serving on the Murphy and Lake Toxaway Branches until sold to the East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad in 1952. The engine came to TVRM in 1978 and operated until 1989 when removed from service, being in need of a major overhaul. The engine was restored over a period of ten years, at a cost of almost $700,000. This restoration was completed in 2011 and has been called one of the most extensive overhauls on a steam locomotive since the end of the steam era. (630 description from TVRR)

4501- Built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1911 for the Southern Railway, the 4501 was the first of its class on that railroad. The wheel arrangement is a 2-8-2, known as a Mikado, which is Japanese for "Emperor" since the first of this type were sold to Japan. 4501 served the Southern until 1948 when the railroad sold the locomotive to the Kentucky & Tennessee Railway and renumbered it to 12. When the small Kentucky railroad put the 4501 up for sale for scrap value in the early 1960s, TVRM’s first president, Paul Merriman, purchased the locomotive, brought it to Chattanooga and returned it to service. Since the mid-1960s, 4501 has pulled countless passenger excursion trains across the Southern (later Norfolk Southern) Railway. The 4501 ended its service in 1999 due to rising maintenance costs but was selected for service in the "21st Century Steam" program, being restored to service between 2011 and 2014. The 4501 is the sole survivor of 435 Mikado locomotives on the Southern Railway. (4501 description from TVRR)

Summerville Depot - The Chattanooga, Rome, and Columbus Railroad was built to Lyerly, Summerville, and Trion in 1889. The depot was constructed at that time. The railroad was merged into the Central of Georgia system in 1901. Sometime later the first depot burned and a second depot was constructed. This depot burned May 4, 1917. The current depot was then constructed and operated as a depot until the fifties. (depot description from
This gallery is empty.